The summer transfer window has slammed open. With an influx of TV money hitting the Premier League like a rush of blood to the head, we look to be in for a heck of a ride between now and when the window shuts on August 31. Here now are some of the big deals that look to be in the works.
Pogba refuses to rule out Man United move
Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has refused to rule out a move back to the club where he began his career. Pogba, who left Man U for Juventus four years ago, has been one of the most sought after transfer targets in recent seasons. Despite having an underwhelming campaign with France at the Euros, he remains a “person of interest” for several top clubs. Reports in England suggest United executive vice president Ed Woodward has already begun negotiations to bring the 23-year-old back to Old Trafford on a $132M+ deal.
PSG mulling Schweinsteiger swoop
In the Man United exits department, it’s been reported by multiple outlets that the club is open to offers for midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger and serial Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain are at the front of the queue. Schweinsteiger, 31, had an underwhelming season in Manchester. While he has still to return from Euro 2016 duty to be evaluated by new Man U manager Jose Mourinho, PSG are confident he can be prized away for somewhere in the neighborhood of $16M.
Higuain agrees terms with Juventus
Arsenal yet again look set to miss out on Gonzalo Higuain. The Napoli striker who broke the record for the number of goals scored in a single Serie A campaign last season is thought to be on the verge of signing with Juventus. The Italian champions have reportedly met $103M release clause (assumedly with some of the money they’re about to get for Pogba) and will offer the Argentine goal-getter a four-year deal.
Gunners in for Bacca after missing out on Higuain, Draxler
Missing out on Higuain will come as another blow for the Gunners who already missed out on signing Leicester City striker Jaime Vardy earlier this summer. Having also been told that Julian Draxler will stay at Wolfsburg, it’s now rumored that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will turn his attention to hijacking West Ham United’s bid for Carlos Bacca.
The 29-year-old Colombian netted 18 goals in 38 appearances for AC Milan last season and is now thought to be Wenger’s first choice option for reinforcing an Arsenal attack that ran short of goals last season, despite the Gunners having been favorites to win the Premier League.
Chelsea closes in on Kante
France midfielder N’Golo Kante’ is reportedly on the verge of joining Chelsea on a deal worth upwards of $38M. Kante’ who represented France in the Euros has informed his Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri of his desire to leave and has already been welcomed to Chelsea by new manager Antonio Conte. The deal, which is expected to be announced in the next few days, is the second Conte has completed since taking charge at Stamford Bridge with a transfer to bring striker Michy Batshuayi already completed.
Balotelli to take high road to China
After being told by manager Jurgen Klopp that he has no future at Liverpool, Mario Balotelli could become the latest high profile European player to make the move to China. After a failed first season at Liverpool, Balotelli spent last season on loan at AC Milan, where he also failed to impress. With Turkish club Besiktas having recently pulled out of a deal to sign the troubled Italian striker, China could be the only option for the once promising striker whose career has sadly fizzled in the four years since he starred at Euro 2012.